Wednesday, July 26, 2017

We dropped off the face of the earth!


      When you last heard from me, Gene and I were in a tailspin.  I had decided to take a break from school, Gene had suddenly lost his job of 31 years, and was looking for a job programming dinosaurs...I mean mainframe computers in the COBOL programming language.  We were getting quite discouraged, and I got a concussion.  I don't remember if I even blogged about that. (If I didn't, I'll have to do that!)  I don't remember a lot!  
Anywho....fast forward to February 18, 2016.  I didn't even know that Gene had a job interview.  It was supposed to be a skyped interview.  His appointment was at 2:00, and by 2:20 he had a job in Lansing, MI, and they wanted him there immediately.  I would have preferred to take at least a few weeks packing up what we needed to take, but Gene was pretty adamant that he wanted me to come with him when he flew out.  He spent the next 2 weeks filling out a bazillion forms in triplicate because this was a job working for the government through an outside agency.  Lots of paperwork!  
     I spent the next 11 days packing a few items of furniture, and canned food.  It might seem odd that I packed the canned food, but I had just bought eight or so cases of canned goods from the Smith's case lot sale, and they weren't put away yet.  So, I packed them.  I packed just ONE box of beading supplies. Every time I want to do any beading, I don't have what I need here.  When I'm back in Vegas, I have the same problem because I thought I was packing everything I would need here. 
 I forgot so many things, not because I actually forgot them, but because I ran out of time.   I scheduled a U-haul Ubox.  They were cheaper than other companies, and the terms fit our plans.  I took everything over to the location so nobody would see us moving out, and think the house was empty while our son was there alone.  When we left sort of early on Saturday, the weekend crew thought we were done, and scheduled our box to be picked up. We had left the box alone to honor the Sabbath, and it was nothing short of a miracle that the driver wasn't able to pick it up before we arrived back there to finish filling the box.  I would have loved to bring two Uboxes, but I didn't have time to pack them myself.   
March 5, 2016 we landed in this snow covered foreign land.  We are both desert rats, and know nothing about how to live in the snow.  Gene had a 6 month contract, and I expected to be back in Las Vegas by September.  Surprise, we're still here.  Three weeks after we arrived, Gene noticed his paycheck listed March 3, 2017 as the end of his contract.  They loved him immediately, and they even let someone else go to free up the funds to keep Gene longer.  I need to break the whole story into multiple posts, but long story short, it looks like we will be here at least until March of 2018.
        I didn't bring my finished jewelry that I had expected to relist in March of 2016, so I'm glad that the listings had expired. Obviously, I didn't own appropriate shoes either.  I was wearing a borrowed coat.
I'm hoping to keep this updated much better than I have done, and even if it's just for my own benefit, I need to update my stories of the past couple of years.  Until next time, Thanks for reading.

#LipFanatic.com
 Check out what I've been up to lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment